Comment

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330342

12 Cores (MS like this number ;-)
      each has 2 DSP cluster

Comment

• Direct X-Static
        Direct X-Static commented
        Editing a comment
        Hololens is using hardware acceleration to gain 200x the performance of a software based solution? Hmm, where have I heard of using hardware acceleration to boost console efficiency before? It had something to do with needing Win 10 and DX12 in order to enable... oh yeah, XB1! Now think how powerful Scorpio will be with 6tf raw performance and hardware acceleration too!

+12 Mr. C!

• Misterx
        Misterx commented
        Editing a comment
        Direct X-Static Too bad only few MS exclusives will use it...not on max too because it will be too complicated to change engines to DSP processing for main rendering pipeline.

2nd ๐Ÿ˜‚ ......COD 2 BC, massive frame rate improvements.

Comment

what a day, just got email from ms stating they are closing xbox fitness and have refunded me money for all purchases i made years ago when i got the xbox one day 1. so now i have 149 bucks back in my account, just in time for FH3 and recore

Comment

• docLEXfisti
          docLEXfisti commented
          Editing a comment
          very honorable gesture

Ahem... interesting graphics engine...

Comment

Assetto Corsa is out......anybody played this? Worth buying? Surprised DF haven't done any comparison's as of yet......apparently you can flatspot and blister your tyres.

Comment

• Direct X-Static
            Editing a comment
            I haven't, but was disappointed to hear that there are no private lobbies on consoles.

• scottvxr
            scottvxr commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm interested in trying the handing of this game only as the graphics are....well something of an acquired taste. Looked at some videos from Xbox community and holy screen tear Batman๐Ÿ˜‚.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20160826_0001.png
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	26248

Comment

• scottvxr
            scottvxr commented
            Editing a comment
            There you have it from the horses mouth before DF trash talk the game on Xbox one. Hopefully they test it on Xbox one S 4K also๐Ÿ˜ Devs put in the work and admit if you put the extra work in you get results......which in the future will actually mean less work as everyone adopts DX12 ๐Ÿ˜.

• BiG Porras
            BiG Porras commented
            Editing a comment
            wow...

• BadCeeJay1975
            BadCeeJay1975 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well that kind of corroborates what we tend to see (less as time goes on) with games running at 900p on the Xbox and 1080p on PS4, it makes it easy to paly the 2:1 power difference card. It's a pity that MS couldn't squeeze a little more ESRAM into the SOC originally so that devs could have got 1080p out of it with the traditional methods they were used to using. Going forward the architecture is more than ready for new coding methods but the damage is already done, the OG Xbox One is seen as inferior. If the Xbox One could have matched PS4 resolution all the way in all third party games then the impression that power advantage that Sony claimed would have been a lot more tricky to hold on to and we might have seen a lot of frustrated gamers asking deeper questions as to why the PS4 wasn't showing its advantage. As it is, the difference between 900 and 1080 on paper is enough even though when you actually use your eyes with what's on screen then its not quite so straight forward,

Anyway back to Assetto! I love a good racing sim so am also looking to see what peoples impressions are for the game. I would love a more simmy game that Forza but that performance has got to be rock solid 60fps for it to pique my interest. We have been well and truly spoiled with the performance of Forza Motorsport on the Xone and anything less now is just not satisfactory, it has set the bar really high. I am not too bothered if the graphics on Assetto are not as good, if the amount of cars is less or if there is different weather or not, number one for me is the smoothness of it. Project Cars didn't cut it but I am holding out a little bit of hope for this game.

• scottvxr
            scottvxr commented
            Editing a comment
            Also notice when the code was first run on PS4 the resolution was forgotten about.......simply a typo or something more sinister!๐Ÿ˜‚

• jon3sy9
            jon3sy9 commented
            Editing a comment
            assetto corsa is unplayable with a controller. it feels worse than project cars did at launch. definitely a do not buy from me

• scottvxr
            scottvxr commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I'm going to give it a try as it's reasonably priced ยฃ39, and I have a TX/playseat and 4K set-up.

• BadCeeJay1975
            BadCeeJay1975 commented
            Editing a comment
            jon3sy9 thats a bummer, the Forzas play really well on a pad as well :(

And, from what i've read about performance today it doesn't look great there either, terrible in fact. If they had nailed performance then I might have considered buying a wheel but looks like I don't have to worry about it now.

• mistercteam
            mistercteam commented
            Editing a comment
            +12

• xboxing pro
            xboxing pro commented
            Editing a comment
            When there's no need to give the PS4 the win in resolution anymore, 1080p will be the norm now.

Xbox One streaming on Windows 10 Mobile video

Comment

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ocessing-unit/

"At the moment, the HPU operates at no more than 50 percent of its capacity, with plenty of compute cycles still available."

Xbox One was said to release power over time. Now we get confirmation that MS is doing the same on It's Hololens. Further is that custom DSP with stacked ram is the route MS has been using.

Xbox One SOC uses specialized audio DSP's. When it was released the gaming websites pounded in the lie that it was an AMD audio DSP that is used in PC's. Not only is the audio DSP specialized but the XBox One uses custom DSP in other area's of the SOC.

The 'Esram' stack with custom DSP underneath at 28nm isn't just academic, but we see it in practice on HPU in the Hololens. Remember the Hololens was birthed out of the Xbox division!

So do we have proof that MS releases power over time on It's custom chips? Yes.

We can say the custom IP in the Xbox One SOC is DSP in nature to a very high degree now. In the article you'll notice fixed functions with general processing abilities are a part of the DSP's. Things that we've been saying on this site for years about the Xbox One SOC. 200X faster than general processing in this HPU at 10 watts. Crazy boosts that this site was made fun of, MS has revealed on the HPU.

The weaker SOC on the Xbox One? No. Just a different type of SOC. The original marketing of the Xbox One was horrible. The refresh of the Slim and Scorpio is It's redemption.

Comment

• BadCeeJay1975
              BadCeeJay1975 commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting post. More proof about the MS SOC strategy although it is very puzzling that they are playing it the way they are.

If we assume that Scorpio is a new much more powerful piece of hardware built in the same way then that also will have unused power that can be unlocked over time? It really begs the question about why they are releasing new much more powerful hardware when there is still plenty to be unlocked in the current consoles, what are the reasons behind this?

• srenia_ia
              srenia_ia commented
              Editing a comment
              http://ip.cadence.com/uploads/533/Ca...nsa_LX6_ds-pdf

"Port connections can be up to 1024 wires wide, allowing wide data types to be transferred easily without the need for multiple load/store operations. As many as one million signals (1000 1024-bit-wide ports) can be used. While this number far exceeds the performance demands of real systems today, this clearly demonstrates that the conventional I/O bottlenecks inherent in a system-bus-based solution do not apply to Xtensa processors."

1024bit 'esram'

More proof.

As far as slim and scorpio it is more about perception than pure tech.

• Direct X-Static
              Editing a comment
              It will happen on OG XB1 for sure. Games will not only have parity with PS4, but will surpass it when the true nature of DX12 in Xbox is realized. 1st wave of DX12 games are out and barely touch what the API can do. Beta tested in the future. Marathon, not a sprint.

Megaton.

• slasaru
              slasaru commented
              Editing a comment
              X-Tatic, meanwhile Deus Ex and several more recent releases are 900p on Xbox

• G-Force
              G-Force commented
              Editing a comment
              The issue lies in devs are not programming for fixed function units, they are coding the same was they did for old PC's, PC / GPU which is why the ps4 leads in 'resolution' some times.

Why do you think MS have made a big focus now to get major Engine companies onboard with DX12 etc

• Misterx
              Misterx commented
              Editing a comment
              no developer will use new dsp accelerators anytime soon

dx12 have support for accelerators

does ue4 have it too? dont think so.

;-)

from respected man in industry said 3 years a go

Click image for larger version

Name:	www_capture2wjk0m.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	26262

OF couse it is why MS showed the GFLOPS of Audio block instead the GPU
            because the audio block is use ten silica that also used in other block == X1 sauce ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X