No announcement yet.

Main Thread & News Stream. E3 2017 [272]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Visceral's closure prove AAA single-player games are dying?

The brief, tantalizing teaser we got of Visceral Games' AAA single-player Star Wars project that was shown at the EAPLAY event last year may be the last that we see of the game as it was initially conceived.

EA announced on Tuesday that they were taking the hotly anticipated game in a different direction, and closing Visceral. "In its current form, [the game] was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game," read the statement from EA.

Bryant Francis (@RBryant2012), contributing editor:

" EA wants the development community and its players to not think of it as “the worst company in America” anymore, but this year it’s doing the same things that landed it on that Consumerist list. Murky microtransactions, studio shuttering…whatever was going on with Visceral’s Star Wars project, a full studio closure feels like a management crisis where the employees working on the project will suffer most"

Kris Graft (@krisgraft), editor-in-chief:

"I don’t necessarily think that triple-A single-player story-driven aka linear games are doomed, no. There are some traits of these types of games that make them inherently risky—they demand huge production costs, and their replayability and longevity is limited, in particular. But for every trait that makes these types of games risky, you can find a corresponding trait in other genres that make them risky as well. There have been plenty of multiplayer games that just fizzle out."

Chris Kerr (@kerrblimey), news reporter:

"Am I surprised by what's happened? Yes and no. I had a lot of faith that the Visceral project would come good, partly because of the involvement of Amy Hennig, and partly because I'd drop a small fortune on an Uncharted-like Star Wars title. Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority — or at least EA thinks I'm in the minority, and that's because we're entering the era of (buzzword klaxon) 'games as a service.'"

Alex Wawro (@awawro), news editor:

"Like the rest of you, I expect that big-budget, story-driven single-player games will be something of a rarity in the next few years"

SOURCE

So...looong article with a lot of great input by these guys. I cut/pasted the more negative, less optimistic comments because that's where the truth lies.

No amount of sugar coating is going to save traditional gaming at this point. The big publishers and console makers have made it clear. Single player games are dead. Subscription based games the future of gaming now. Well done. :/

Comment

• Misterx
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Smash

Am i in minority now for AAA-story games and my money don't make sence for developers....Is it? If yes - fuck young generations with having no clue what real gaming is. Where they harvest their souls now? In the social media? this is a slave train to nowhere...

Seems like only Sony will continue to risk with AAA and all AAA story driven gamers whould consider PS4/PC. Story driven AAA will be Sonys fan service where they will always have enought money to produce such games. There is just no room(players count) for another such service on other platforms.

So we will have 1 AAA-story driven game like GTA or RedDeath or Withcer in 2 years on all platforms and 1 from Sony.

Xbox will have lower budget AAA games.

• I used to like text adventures, especially those by Infocom; times change.

Comment

• Neogaf is burning down! Its done!

Comment

• Badkolo
        Editing a comment
        link please??

• Badkolo
        Editing a comment
        do you mean its burning down because of xbox one X or is it burning down because mods are quiting after the scandal is coming out about the owner being a sexual predator

• xboxon1hut
        Editing a comment
        Badkolo well it couldnt happen at a better time lol. i saw post coming wondering wth was gaf up to now.

• mistercteam
        Editing a comment
        22 october the date GAF burned down

• https://nickmonroe.blog/2017/04/12/neogafs-shadows/amp/

Comment

• A controversy centered around the owner of NeoGAF has apparently prompted moderators to abandon their posts at the popular gaming forum.

Comment

• http://www.usgamer.net/amp/neogaf-go...gainst-founder

Comment

• Badkolo
            Editing a comment
            the story is now even on n4g, i hope neogaf burns tot he ground, i hate every mod there

• I predict a influx of new members here🤣

Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20171022_0001 (2).png
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	35255

Comment

• mistercteam
            Editing a comment
            +12

• hasmeh
            Editing a comment
            Oh Boy, this is going to be interesting.

• Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20171022_0002 (2).png
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	35258

Comment

• Some interesting tidbits regarding NeoGAF:

1. Some collection of comments by EvilLore.

Name:	NeoGAF.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	35261

2. Previous grope.

Name:	NeoGAF 1.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	35262

3. Colin Moriarty venting his thoughts:

Name:	NeoGAF 2.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	35263

4. Mike Ybarra

Name:	NeoGAF 4.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	35264

5. GAF members requesting ban

Name:	NeoGAF 3.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	35266

Comment

• scottvxr
              Editing a comment
              Burn baby burn 🤣

• CC-Tron
              Editing a comment
              Burn to ashes.

• mistercteam
              Editing a comment
              +12 ... as wish

• Segatasan's Bro
              Editing a comment
              It needed to burn a long time ago....Where are my marshmellows?

• Joddington
              Editing a comment
              But where will the gaming media get all their news exclusives from now? They might have to some proper journalism.

Glad to see the gaf has gone; a step in ridding the gaming world of its hate filled parasites.

• New thread has arrived -> http://misterxmedia.com/forum/gaming...ch-273?p=35272

Comment

Working...
            X