Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First look at Microsoft's gorgeous new Xbox avatars (exclusive)

Microsoft has been working on new Xbox avatars for quite a while, having teased them several months ago. They're nearly ready for prime time as part of the Fall Creators Update for Xbox One, and we got an early look.

If you're in the Xbox Alpha Ring, you'll notice that there's a new "Xbox Avatar Editor" app, that's listed but currently inaccessible. Well, we got a look at the Windows 10 version of the new Avatar Editor interface and some of the editing options. Here's what to expect!

Note that this is a work in progress running on a Windows 10 PC, rather than Xbox One. The app is built using Unity3D and is capable of running across all Universal Windows Platform (UWP) compatible Windows 10 devices.

It's certainly early days for the app, but the new Xbox avatars are unquestionably beautiful, full of detail, vibrant art, and expressive animations. The sheer amount of options and combinations that Microsoft seems to be gunning for is not only incredible in terms of potential volume but also unprecedented in inclusivity and personal expression.

The current version of the Xbox Avatars Editor app is very similar to the existing app but with some Fluent Design translucency. This could change later on, but the basic functionality is there. You will be able to edit and customize your new Xbox avatars in the same way you can today, with some powerful differences. How are the new Xbox avatars different?

First, you can completely customize the avatars now, with infinite options for colors and specific options for limbs and bodies. If you're pregnant, you can express it. If you have a prosthesis, you can express it. Height and weight options are far more varied and customizable than before, too, and there is no restriction on what colors you can use where. If you want to have bright green skin and role play as an orc, or pale white zombie skin (like me) that's totally in the cards.

The color options aren't only infinite, they're smart. As seen above, they keep your most recently used colors under an "Active Color" tab, allowing you to easily find that specific shade you just used.

Beyond physical customization, the new version of Xbox avatars lets you customize your mood, too. While the previous avatar versions did have some rudimentary emotional expressions, you can now set the tone of your character's body language throughout by changing their mood. I always felt my existing Xbox avatar was way too energetic to really be me.

What if you're really fond of your existing avatar? Not to worry, Microsoft isn't shutting down the existing Xbox 360 avatar system, nor its content. You will still be able to access all of your existing purchases and inventory, using a separate "Xbox Original Avatar" app, which will be available to download later. You can also import the old avatars into the new system for use on Xbox Live, if you want to retain your previously-owned content.

This is just a sneak peek at what Microsoft has planned for avatars as part of the current Xbox Insider Program preview wave, part of the upcoming Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. In our interview with Xbox Platform Corporate Vice President Mike Ybarra on the Xbox Two Podcast, Ybarra teased that Microsoft has plans to make avatars more prominent again, admitting that they're barely present in the current dashboard.

https://www.windowscentral.com/new-xbox-avatars-2017

:)

Comment

• Gamescom 2017 Xbox Booth Tour

Comment

• scottvxr
        scottvxr commented
        Editing a comment
        One Pony in the comments section 🤣

• Joddington
        Joddington commented
        Editing a comment
        One question springs to mind. Why was Fable Legends in the big screen montage at the end? I guess it might be a placeholder, but it seems an odd choice.

• XboxOneFan
        XboxOneFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Is this youtube account official?

Fable Legends would be awesome but there is not way that is true.

• Hands-on with F1 2017 on Xbox One X in True 4K/60fps at Microsoft’s E3 2017 Booth

Update: Codemasters has got in touch with us to clarify the rendering techniques used in F1 2017 on Xbox One X. Our original story stated the game would use native 4K on Microsoft’s new console, as we were told at E3 2017. That feat was achieved with just two weeks of work, but at the time, the team hadn’t made its final decision on whether it would stick to native 4K, or opt for a rendering technique to achieve that resolution instead.

F1 2017 will use a checkerboard reconstruction technique to hit 4K resolution on both Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro, Codemasters has told us. The decision between native and checkerboard was all about where it saw the “most important gains” in visuals, and checkerboarding left “a significant amount” more GPU resources available to spend on other elements of the game, with improved reflections, higher-quality track shaders, and enhanced shadow precision being some of the visual upgrades on offer.

In addition, F1 2017 will also offer support for High Dynamic Range on Xbox One X, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, and the standard PS4. This enables crisper, true-to-life colours with a higher contrast ratio and greater colour depth, delivering a more natural representation of real-world lighting conditions. The game also takes advantage of super-sampling for those using regular Full HD 1080p displays. This results in a more finely-detailed 1080p image that’s taken from the 4K render to smoothen jagged edges and refine object and texture detail.

Our original story can be found below.

F1 2017 is shaping up to the most beautiful racing game from Codemasters to date, and regardless of which system you play it on, you’re sure to be in for a real treat. However, those on Xbox One X will reap the most benefits on console in terms of visual fidelity and performance.

Recently, we shared our detailed F1 2017 Preview that explored the 12 Classic Cars and the new Career Mode in the game, but I wanted to take a deeper look at the game’s visual quality on Xbox One X in this slightly more technical and gameplay hands-on.

First and foremost, F1 2017 runs in True 4K resolution on Microsoft’s Xbox One X. No upscaling, no checkerboarding, or any other dynamic rendering techniques from what we could see – this is a full 2160p with a resolution of 3840 × 2160 at a locked 60 frames-per-second, and like Forza Motorsport 7, it looks glorious. Codemasters had a great showing for F1 2017 at E3 2017, which was located at Microsoft’s Xbox booth.

Both Nick and myself played it, and we walked away very impressed. Not only do we have the greatly improved resolution, but also improved draw distance and texture filtering, as well as increased anisotropic filtering. It resulted in a much clearer, more detailed image with a shaper presentation all-around.

My only criticism about this was the extremely irritating screen-tearing, which is a problem that Codemasters titles are notorious for on console. This remains an issue on Xbox One X as of E3 2017, and it’s used to stop the frame-rate from falling. It was a big problem in F1 2016, a game that suffers with several torn frames across every race usually played.

Hopefully, Codemasters optimizes their game and continues to push for 60fps whilst removing the screen-tear issue, as it severely spoils the experience due to how noticeable is can be on a 4K display, and it naturally plagues 1080p owners as well.

During my demo, I checked out the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, which is in Nick’s home city of Montréal, Canada. It’s where the annual Canadian Grand Prix is held every year for Formula 1. I absolutely love this circuit, and it’s so much fun to drive on.

With the Classic Cars being the big push for Codemasters’ latest release, it made sense to use one of them – so we were in the 2010 Red Bull Racing RB6, which enjoyed 9 wins, 15 pole positions and 6 fastest laps across the 2010 Championship season. We also checked out the 2002 Ferrari F2002, a legendary race car driven by Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher.

My hands-on time mostly consisted of hot-lapping the RB6 and F2002 on the Montreal Grand Prix circuit, and as I kept practising in these cars, I slowly began to continuously improve and get better lap times. That’s the beauty of the F1 series – it pushes you to do more, and eventually, I even surpassed Nick’s best time on his own hometown circuit.

The Classic Cars are definitely a great addition to F1 2017, and they vary the overall car line-up. I also had the chance to briefly try it out on the wheel, which continues the excellent handling and physics models used by Codemasters in their games for wheel users. It’s really an impressive showcase all-around for the Codies, but I do wish the screen-tear issue could be finally sorted.

In fact, the problem bugged me so much, I pointed it out to the game’s Creative Director, Lee Mather, when speaking to him about the game whenever it occurred. He recognised the issue and understood our frustration, so hopefully it’s something we see rectified on consoles across the board – or at least on Xbox One X, considering it’s the most premium console that’s in the market right now.

It was great to speak to Mather about the game and the franchise, and hear about the team’s big and ambitious plans, and their ideas for moving forward. He also shared a lot of guidance and insight from development with us, and how having the big focus every year is an important aspect of the Formula 1 series.

For example, F1 2015 was all about moving onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 and building a new engine specifically for those systems, whilst F1 2016 focused on the Career Mode and Championship gameplay. F1 2017 aims to refine everything F1 2016 offered with four new circuit variations, whilst also introducing 12 Classic Cars and expanding the features and functionality of its predecessor.

Overall, Codemasters is racing towards victory with F1 2017, especially if you’re on Xbox One X, where you’ll be treated to the best visual experience. If the screen-tear issue is rectified, then there’s no doubt that Microsoft’s latest console is by far the best place to experience F1 2017, unless you have a dedicated wheel rig setup for a high-end Windows PC.

Regardless, Xbox One X will be the best place to enjoy F1 2017 on console, and Codemasters have “additional visual enhancements” to come that we didn’t see in the E3 2017 build. With the console not launching until November 7th, it gives the developer plenty of time to optimize both the game and engine for the upcoming system.

F1 2017 launches on Friday, August 25th for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Enhancements have also been promised for the PlayStation 4 Pro, so it’ll be interesting to see how it fairs on Sony’s machine when the game launches in a couple of weeks’ time in comparison to Xbox One X when that console finally ships this November. For even more on F1 2017, be sure not to miss our in-depth preview coverage.

https://ar12gaming.com/articles/f1-2017-hands-on

Last edited by Blaze_ATX; 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• brutalone
        brutalone commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like the article has been updated both xbox one x and ps4 pro are using checkerboard rendering to reach 4k

• Blaze_ATX
        Blaze_ATX commented
        Editing a comment
        Op already updated, Thanks for letting me know.

Game On!!!

Last edited by Blaze_ATX; 08-14-2017, 09:37 PM.

• F1 on ps4 pro using checkerboard
      Last edited by brutalone; 08-14-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• The Origin of Assassin's Creed Origin's Bayek and Senu - IGN First

WOW!!! Stunning!!! I can't wait to play this game

Last edited by Blaze_ATX; 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Xbox One X offers “significant” graphics bump over PS4 Pro for Project Cars 2

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/x...rector-3247451
          In an exclusive interview with Trusted Reviews, Slightly Mad's Stephen Viljoen called the One X a "great piece of hardware" and teased Project Cars 3.

Comment

• Official TFE‏ @3FieldsEnt

Danger Zone explodes on to @Xbox this Fall. 12 new levels. 3 new cars. Enhanced for Xbox One X including native 4k. Follow us for news/vids

https://twitter.com/3fieldsent/statu...79029124628480

Comment

• kssxs
              kssxs commented
              Editing a comment
              This is AWESOME news. Can't wait, Burnout was such a fun game!

• docLEXfisti
              docLEXfisti commented
              Editing a comment
              very nice, will keep an eye on ;)

• Larry Hryb‏Verified account @majornelson

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and ScreamRide are coming to Xbox One Backward Compatibility today http://mjr.mn/BackCompat

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...88273655857152

Comment

• docLEXfisti
              docLEXfisti commented
              Editing a comment
              ... still no DoAX2 :(

• Xbox One X’s Full Potential Won’t Be Held Back By Its CPU, Says Observer Dev

Comment

• ReCore‏ @ReCoreGame

Hey ReCore players! Come back to our channels on August 20th to hear what's next for #ReCore! Thank you for waiting & see you then.

https://twitter.com/ReCoreGame/statu...35676744204288

Comment

• What a load of crap this is ps fanboys are getting really desperate 8.4tf yeah ok if you say so.hahaha
              With the launch of AMD's newest series of high-end graphics cards, RX Vega, we have also learned that some of the new technologies could also lead to massive performance boosts on the PlayStation 4 Pro since the console comes with a chip manufactured by AMD based on
              Last edited by brutalone; 08-15-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Joddington
                Joddington commented
                Editing a comment
                And the wheel turns full circle; now the PS4 Pro has some sort of hidden secret sauce inside it?

• KirkSi
                KirkSi commented
                Editing a comment
                The problem they're going to have with this, beyond the fact that you can only use it for a limited number of things, nowhere near everything that could get them to 8.4TF, is that it'll depend how easy it is to code for.

Most developers will not go to significant lengths to make use of hardware specific features if they get minimal return from it. This is AMD specific tech so on the PC side they'll get no benefit for coding for it from NVIDEA users. On the console side Xbox One and PS4 base consoles do not support it, and that's the majority of the user base right there. Of the new consoles only the Pro will support it. If it's super easy to do then maybe devs will use it where they can and it'll give them a small boost for sure (nowhere near the degree they're talking about though), but if it means a moderate or more amount of effort to do devs won't bother (first party might if ordered to, but 3rd party won't).
            Working...
            X