X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile ...

Who's The WHO?

The World Health Organisation stands by its definition of the recently-classified 'gaming disorder', describing it as "a clinically recognisable and clinically significant syndrome."

Last week it emerged both 'gaming disorder' and 'hazardous gaming' had been added to the current draft of the next revision for WHO's International Compendium of Diseases (ICD).

The listings are fairly broad in their definitions and prompted several questions from across the industry - most prominently: what separates victims of gaming disorder from passionate consumers who choose to pour a lot of their leisure time into the medium?

"There is increasing and well-documented evidence of clinical relevance of these conditions and increasing demand for treatment in different parts of the world," the spokesperson told us.

"Use of the internet, computers, smartphones and other electronic devices has dramatically increased over recent decades. While the increase is associated with clear benefit to users - for example, in real-time information exchange - health problems as a result of excessive use have also been documented. In a number of countries, the problem has become a significant public health concern."

"Inclusion of a disorder in ICD is a consideration which countries take into account when making decisions on provision of health care and allocation of resources for prevention, treatment and rehabilitation," the spokesperson added.

Source

Hmmm .. What about people who wake up everyday, travel to a job they hate, to work with people they dislike, to buy things they don't really need with money, they don't really have...yet. Sounds ' excessive ' to me. :/

Seriously...who's the WHO? Who pays these guys to come up with this stuff? C'mon .. gaming is no different or ' hazardous ' than anything else. If you abuse ANYTHING, it can lead to other issues. This has to do with people and their very HUMAN conditions.

As if gaming's enemies needed any help .. 0_o

Comment

• Direct X-Static
      Direct X-Static commented
      Editing a comment
      "Negative consequences on the sufferer's physical health include sedentary lifestyle, impaired vision and/or hearing, musculoskeletal problems, injuries and accidents, and infections. They also listed some of the psychosocial problems that can arise, including cyber-bullying, hindered social development, sleep deprivation, risky sexual behaviour, aggressive behaviour, depression and suicide."

Risky sexual behavior, LOL. Only risk I see is that you're not getting enough if all you do is play games!

Many of those other tenets can be applied to being an office worker, simply watching TV, driving for a living, etc.

Stuff like cyber-bullying, hindered social development, and aggressive behavior, possibly leading to depression and suicide though? Go look at other gaming related websites and judge for yourselves by the comments, but it seems to me that the WHO may be onto something real. Something that warrants further investigation.

Thankfully, we're not like that here... which is why I think we're all pro-MS in the first place!

• Smash_mouth
      Smash_mouth commented
      Editing a comment
      Direct X-Static .. " provision of health care and allocation of resources for prevention, treatment and rehabilitation " .. this is step one in designating gamers and gaming as problematic and/or a deviant behavior. Big Pharma, Lazy parents and anyone else looking for an EXCUSE wait at the door.

As is ALWAYS the case ..gaming isn't the problem. People are the problem. Society is the problem. Education is the problem. No pill will cure what ails mankind. There are no quick fixes for the human condition.

Besides...who asked the WHO to get involved? ;)

• Joddington
      Joddington commented
      Editing a comment
      This isn't an attack on gaming this is just adding a potential disease (and gaming addiction in its extreme cases is just that, like any other addiction) into a catalogue that allows medical professionals to log the condition under a discrete medical term rather than lumping it under a generic addiction where it won't be possible to look at epidemiological trends (if there is one). The ICD gets updated regularly with new diseases added and outdated ones removed.

• Lots of Battletoad rumors going around.

There was a guy here a few years ago that claimed he had seen a new Battletoads game running in real life. Does anyone have a copy of that post?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20180111_0001 (2).png
Views:	1
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	36283

Comment

• Badkolo
        Badkolo commented
        Editing a comment
        scott april fools day is in 3 months, too soon bud

• scottvxr
        scottvxr commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol 😁 just lately when I upload a picture it's small🙁? If you can't read it just Aaron confirming...... NATIVE 4K Xbox one X enhanced Patch goes live for Forza Horizon 3 on January 15th😎.(it would be extra special if it was 60fps)
        Last edited by scottvxr; 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM.

• Electronic Arts is using dynamic difficulty adjustments in multiple games, wants to get rid of fair matchmaking

Back in October 2017, it was revealed that Activision is working on a new matchmaking system that would pair players together in order to encourage microtransactions. And while this system has not been implemented in any game as of yet, another publisher is searching into getting rid of fair matchmaking in multiplayer games. That publisher is no other than EA who has already implemented its dynamic difficulty adjustment in multiple games.

But let’s start from the beginning. Spotted by YongYea, EA is using a dynamic difficulty adjustment for its games. This is a technique for adaptively changing a game to make it easier or harder.

As Electronic Arts claimed:

“In this paper, we propose a DDA framework with a global optimization objective of maximizing a player’s engagement throughout the entire game. Using level-based games as our example, we model a player’s progression as a probabilistic graph. Dynamic difficulty reduces to optimizing transition probabilities to maximize a player’s stay time in the progression graph.”

Source

" dynamic difficulty adjustment " ... 0_o

Comment

• splay912
        splay912 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been gaming for a looooong time... It's unfortunate it has devolved into the creation of systems to subconsciously "entice" gamers into spending money to get an advantage rather than grinding to get better. I mean if the difficulty is dynamically adjusted behind the scenes in multiplayer games, can a gamer accurately gauge where they really are? You believe you're at one level, but the system decides... no, according to the algorithm you're at "this" level. I was truly looking forward to Anthem and will probably still get it, but seriously considering staying away from games by EA and Activision. Sad thing is, if successful other publishers will likely implement similar systems.
        Last edited by splay912; 01-11-2018, 02:29 PM.

• BadCeeJay1975
        BadCeeJay1975 commented
        Editing a comment
        EA are on roll lately! I am now positive that when i played Fifa14 (bundled with the console) there was some kind of dynamic scaling going on, not just in single player but multiplayer too. Sometimes the goals would seem to fly in then others would see the keeper making miraculous saves every attempt. Other times i would see players artificially speed up or slow down when running. Things could change mid game and not just based on whether i was winning or losing at the time.

This was nothing new for single player games as cheating by the Ai has long been in games for balancing purposes but, felt like something new for multiplayer. I just want it fair whether i win or loss.

I am rapidly getting soured to near enough every AAA game by their greed ☹

Nevermind, there are plenty of other more ethical games out there to buy and play, its making it easy to skip the blockbusters.

• Joddington
        Joddington commented
        Editing a comment
        Any developer that screws with my matchmaking in order to get me to pay for "premium" access can eff off.

• PUBG hits 3 million on Xbox one😎

Comment

• Smash_mouth
        Smash_mouth commented
        Editing a comment
        Since PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) launched on Xbox One through the Xbox Game Preview program, it’s been awesome to see the excitement and passion on display from the Xbox community. Whether you’re streaming in the HypeZone on Mixer or battling for a chicken dinner with your squad, players on Xbox are helping build and improve the game on console. Today, PUBG Corp. and Xbox are excited to share that through the end of 2017 the PUBG community on Xbox One has already grown to over three million players. Thank you for your incredible support!

The team at PUBG Corp. is determined to continue to improve the in-game experience for PUBG’s growing and active community and have already released four updates since the game’s launch in Xbox Game Preview on December 12. You’ll continue to see regular updates roll out for PUBG on Xbox One such as this week’s addition of first-person support for solo, duo, and squads gameplay and the team is just getting started, with more updates planned that include additional game optimization and the new Miramar map – keep up-to-date by visiting PUBG Corp’s official forums.

For players just getting started, there will be a Tips and Tricks segment on Mixer at 3 p.m. PST on January 16 to share tips on inventory management and showcase UX shortcuts and features on the Xbox One controller. This is part of an ongoing series to help new and existing players jump in and start earning their chicken dinner. Be sure to stay tuned to Xbox Wire and Major Nelson for all the latest news on PUBG for Xbox One – see you on the battleground!

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/01/...yers-xbox-one/

Yep ...was waiting for Xbox to respond to Sony's ' we sold 5 million ' Xmas console talk. Once again...games as a service punches Sony and Nintendo in the mouth. Still waiting for the XB1X numbers. Something should drop soon tho mentioning it with this games sales would of made more sense...tic toc

• Hammtweezy2192
        Hammtweezy2192 commented
        Editing a comment
        this game could be like a Minecraft for Microsoft. It's on 20 million pc's, between 4-5 million Xbox console as those 3 million was from Dec 31st. Also it's on mobile in other regions. Microsoft should buy this game and put it on all platforms including PS4. I personally love when Microsoft cleans up off Sony customers lol.

• scottvxr
        scottvxr commented
        Editing a comment
        And to think how many times playing Mario Kart (SNES). Games don't have to be cutting edge reality......sometimes all it takes is ........local competition.

• NPD win?

https://youtu.be/ymYF96bjttU

Comment

• 2018 Kicking And Screaming

Anybody else notice the uptick in Sony baloney in the last 48 hrs? This NPD/PUBG stuff seems to have woken them up a bit...lol

Make. Believe. Sony

Last edited by Smash_mouth; 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup🤣

• Hmmm ...Changes?

Activision-Hasbro deal expires, Transformers games pulled from digital stores

War for Cybertron, Transformers Devastation and more no longer available to buy as download

Hasbro's licensing agreement with Activision has expired, prompting a purge of its Transformers games from all digital marketplaces.

The toy firm confirmed the news to IGN, restating that since the deal is no longer in effect, Activision has had to pull its Transformers games from Steam, PlayStation Store and the Xbox Store.

Such a purge is common when a licensing deal expires. Licensed titles once made up the bulk of Activision's portfolio, but the publisher has instead focused on its own IP over the last year, maintaining the popularity of the best-selling Call of Duty games while also growing its new Destiny franchise.

Source

Hmmm...anytime you see a company ( just sold off huge warehouse ) circle the wagons, something BIG about to go down. Could they be getting ready to make an offer on a huge IP that they currently publish? Who wants to speculate. ;)

Comment

• Joddington
          Joddington commented
          Editing a comment
          Buy Bungie? Bye Bungie....

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment
          Back in the 80's I always wanted Optimus Prime! But never had any chance of getting the OG OP☹

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment

• hasmeh
          hasmeh commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think MS will go for these IPs. They are sort of niche. If MS had to buy someone, i would hope it is Obsidian, Playground or Crytek.

• LG and Google teaming up??? .......many adds on YouTube 🤔

Comment

• BadCeeJay1975
          BadCeeJay1975 commented
          Editing a comment
          They are partnering for a rival to the Amazon Echo Show, could be due to that? Supposedly smart displays are going to be a big thing this year like the smart speakers have been the last couple of years.

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment
          Alexa were the fu#k is Cortana???🤔

Weird 🙃 shit 💩 going down 👇.....

• BadCeeJay1975
          BadCeeJay1975 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, smart speakers have soon gained quite a bit of market penetration and the two biggest players are now moving on to the next generation with displays. MS have missed the boat I'm afraid. Once people pick their first device they are likely to stay with that eco-system for their next devices. Saying that though, my first Cortana devices were a phone and then Kinect. I thought Cortana on the phone was ok but I rarely use it now and we all know how Kinect went! We got an Echo a couple of years ago and it was a pretty easy decision as we have been using Prime for years and it gave us an easy way to use the Prime Music service that's included with it. We have been really impressed with the Echo, use it all the time and have since added another 3 dots around the house which we mainly use as an intercom instead of shouting up the stairs to the kids and also have a compatible thermostat. The kids also have compatible light bulbs in their rooms that seem to work well, they can get the color changing in time with their music. I would have a lot of confidence in going Amazon or Google because there are so many third parties that are supporting them and their own services are showing healthy growth whereas if MS decided to start bringing out Cortana products I woud have no confidence that all my purchases wouldn't be obsolete within a year or two. MS have killed all their media services such as their Netflix rival that never got beyond making a few shows, their music service Groove that was over priced without a cheap entry version to get a critical mass using it habitually, they killed Kinect fitness, its only a matter of time before their phones are killed off for good. With a track record like that, they are not really inspiring confidence in any other attempts at getting long term multimedia subscription customers. The only thing they have been doing well at is their gaming services which even now is not out of the woods yet. Sony have done a pretty shit job of offering a competing suite of services yet they are still running circles around MS in hardware sales because they have a hell of a lot of diehard fans who keep the mindshare high. I think there is room in the market for only a couple of big players and if someone like Google or Amazon decided to push into gaming it could easily push either MS or Sony out. With the way things currently stand, it would be MS that would buckle first. I think that Amazon have already shown that they are making preparations to start a push when they feel the time is right and have been putting plans into place steadily for some time.

I think however that MS are in a great position for going into the "next generation", I would possibly argue that they already are there and have been since the OG Xbox One came out. it's down to Sony to knock it out of the park with the PS5 and get the same momentum going like they did with the PS4 early on in the gen. I wouldn't count them out purely due to their diehards and mindshare but, they definitely have the work to do to. I would expect MS to have a new console at least as powerful as a PS5 releasing at the same time that is another Xbox One iteration that will hit the ground running with a mature OS, full BC and everything that the current Xbox consoles have now. Sony are highly unlikely to have anything other than a fresh start (with some BC) with new peripherals, OS, dev tools etc. Those early third party games are possibly going to be the deciding factor and if they perform significantly better on one console that the other then that could swing it. It remains to be seen whether a PS5 without the shackles of legacy commitments can outshine a Nextbox with highly mature dev tools or not. Its going to be fascinating to watch it play out and I feel like their will be a clear winner for the likes of DF to crown once they start analyzing those pixels!
          Last edited by BadCeeJay1975; 01-14-2018, 11:42 AM.

• Misterx
          Misterx commented
          Editing a comment
          Smart speakers? Big deal? What it is?

To tell "play next song" anywhere in the house?

• BadCeeJay1975
          BadCeeJay1975 commented
          Editing a comment
          They do that yes but a lot more. Voice control heating and lights (with compatible kit). But its also a search engine on demand. A few examples... watching a movie and wonder who directed it or what year it came out, just ask. Wonder what the weather is going to be tomorrow, just ask. It's like having an expert in everything sat right next to you, its great for resolving those little disputes you have with other members of the family instantly. Other things it can do is an intercom, each device gets given a name e.g. kitchen, just say drop in on kitchen and it will beep, show a green ring light and you can chat with anyone in that room. You can download any number from thousands of third party apps called skills to expand the functionality with anything from something simple like a dice to fast food to rpgs to Spotify premium. If you are listening to a song on a TV show but not sure what it is you can ask Alexa and it will name the song and artist. You can easily set a reminder to alert you in an hour if you have some thing in the oven or need to go somewhere. The list goes on and on. You can do all of this using other devices sure but you can't beat the convenience of it all.

Comment

• BiG Porras
          BiG Porras commented
          Editing a comment

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment

• DIEHARD
          DIEHARD commented
          Editing a comment
          ... --- ...

• NBA Jam announcer says he's working with Microsoft to revive the series

Electronic Arts (EA) Sports rebooted the franchise in 2010 and still has the rights, but Kitzrow is working with Microsoft to possibly get the game resurrected for the 25th anniversary.

"I can't speak anything to the specifics, but I can tell you there is movement in the works to get it done for the 25th year," Kitzrow said. "So I'm hoping that we get a remake that does justice to the original."

Turmell also hopes that a reboot could happen this year. But he doesn't have a role in any plans at the moment.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...rect-franchise

Hmmm...why would MS be involved if EA owns the rights?

Comment

• BadCeeJay1975
          BadCeeJay1975 commented
          Editing a comment
          FROM DOWNTOWN!!!

Good memories playing this with friends on the Snes 😁
      Working...
      X