• Disintegration - Announce Teaser

:)

Comment

• :)

Comment

• CODE VEIN Character Trailer: Jack Rutherford

Comment

• PlayStation 5 Will Be Dead on Arrival with Sony's 'Hardcore Gamer' Strategy

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter recently painted a wild price tag on Sony’s next-generation PlayStation 5 console. He said that the Japanese giant could price the successor to the PlayStation 4 at a whopping $800.

What’s Sony trying to do?

According to information obtained by the Wall Street Journal, Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida has revealed that the company will position the PlayStation as a niche product aimed at serious gamers.

He reportedly said at a company briefing that “details when making games have become more important than ever.” Yoshida also added that the next-generation console will come equipped with ray-tracing technology, which can create life-like optical effects in games.

All of this will be possible because the next PlayStation console will “dramatically increase the graphics-rendering speed” thanks to high-end hardware. Sony has made it clear that it will focus on titles with big budgets to drive profitability in the gaming segment instead of looking to move more numbers.

This looks like a smart move at first. The PlayStation division accounts for a significant chunk of Sony's revenue and profits. The company generated $3 billion in operating profit on $21 billion in revenue from the PlayStation segment last fiscal year.

The annual revenue of the PlayStation unit increased 19% annually despite a drop in hardware sales, which indicates that gaming software sales and PlayStation Plus subscriptions drove its performance. So Sony is looking to deploy a similar strategy with its next console, wherein big-budget titles will drive its profits instead of device sales.

That’s the reason why Sony could be looking to price the PlayStation 5 at a premium thanks to its powerful specs. But this ploy of selling less PS5 units and relying on AAA titles to drive profitability could backfire and kill the device on arrival.

A miscalculated move could kill the PlayStation 5

Restricting the PS5 to a niche audience could be a big problem. Video games research provider Newzoo has classified gamers into eight categories. A bird’s eye view of those categories indicates that the majority of gamers don’t fall in the hardcore category that Sony is targeting.

Just over a third of the gamers belong to the hardcore category according to Newzoo’s classification. These include those types of gamers who will spend money on hardware, though to varying degrees. For example, only 9% of the gamers are hardware enthusiast who will keep up with the latest machines, while 13% belong to the “ultimate gamer” category that spends all of their money on games.

On the other hand, 46% of gamers belong to the “time filler” and “cloud gamer” category. The time filler plays a game only when he or she has to kill time, while the cloud gamer inclines toward streaming services and doesn’t believe in spending a ton on hardware.

This is where Sony might miss out on a trick with the next PlayStation console as its rivals are gearing up for the cloud gaming era. Microsoft’s Xbox Two will reportedly have two variants, one of which will be a cheaper streaming box that will beam games straight from the cloud.

Similarly, Nintendo is said to be testing cloud gaming on its Switch console. Sony’s competition is looking to tap into a much wider universe of gamers by supporting more than just big-budget tiles that requires premium hardware.

This could pose a problem as focusing on the premium end of the market with a costly console and pricey games could price out a big chunk of gamers and dent sales of the PlayStation 5.

Watch CCN's View on The Future of Gaming

https://www.ccn.com/news/sonys-plays...er/2019/07/09/

It's popcorn Thursday, enjoy everyone, especially the pony's in the following link, have fun. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pla...rategy.128484/

Last edited by Blaze_ATX; 07-11-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Blaze_ATX
          Blaze_ATX commented
          Editing a comment
          🤣🤣🤣🤣

• CC-Tron
          CC-Tron commented
          Editing a comment
          Resetera is one big Sony circle jerk.

• Blaze_ATX
          Blaze_ATX commented
          Editing a comment
          @CC-Tron

No lies detected, completely agreed. 👍

• Direct X-Static
          Direct X-Static commented
          Editing a comment
          The article brings up some very interesting points, but that Pachter, LOL! $800 for the PS5!!! This guy seriously needs to be fired...

• OrionWolf
          OrionWolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Direct X-Static I remember a video from him and some quotes where states that he does this intentionally (the absurd speculations) for "fun" i.e. he's basically trolling. everyone.

• angryguy77
          angryguy77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a fan of pachter but this was done in jest. The host was pushing him.to do this.

As for Sony, this is pr 101. Pretty much all businesses most of the time.will try and retain their loyal customers with lip service while releasing a product that appeals to a broader audience.

Look at comic book movies or those based off popular books; they never say the story isn't close to source material.

The media is a joke for making a story out of this.

• DIEHARD
          DIEHARD commented
          Editing a comment
          Sonys' success is going to its head again. Sounds like by their recent language they have been using lately is setting their player base up for a higher priced next gen console. Its starting smell like the PS3 all over again. I guess the Ponys will have to start looking for that 2nd job again. Deja vu boo hoo hoo.

• DIEHARD
          DIEHARD commented
          Editing a comment
          This Geoff Keighley sounds like a real prick (SonyPony). Love how Pachter called Geoff on his bs about Xbox being “kinda in third place”.. That’s a ridiculous bold claim from someone who has absolutely no clue how many Xbox consoles are sold and it shows how biased Geoff really is that he just spreads his assumptions like that. I play games on all platforms but this downplay bs from the gamingmedia towards Xbox needs to stop. Xbox is one of the platforms that have a bright future in gaming, there is no reason to believe that they are going out of business.. They doubled their studios in one year and they are looking to buy even more, they are not going anywhere but forward.

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment
          Wasn't the Pro for the hardcore? With checkerboard 4K......O my mistake 🤣

• Gears 5 - Training Grounds Multiplayer Map Flythrough

Last edited by Blaze_ATX; 07-11-2019, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• Blaze_ATX
          Blaze_ATX commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good! 😎

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment
          Take my money!😎

• Xbox Game Bar - Animal Wingdom

Comment

• scottvxr
          scottvxr commented
          Editing a comment
          Pmsl🤣 squarkkkkkk😂

• Minecraft Earth: Closed Beta Announcement

Comment

• inXile: Microsoft Trusts Us; We’re Making Wasteland 3 Better Than We Would Have Been Able Ourselves

In our Wasteland 3 interview with inXile Entertainment’s Brian Fargo and Tim Campbell, we also inquired about the studio’s first few months of experience after joining the Xbox Game Studios.

Here’s what they said:
          Campbell: I can say on the team level, the development side, we’re ecstatic for the partnership with Microsoft, we are absolutely making the game [Wasteland 3] that we want to make and we’re making it better than we would have been able to by ourselves.

Fargo: Yeah, I think we’re fortunate because Microsoft trusts us. I think that’s always a concern when companies get bought, that’s what they think. There’s a natural sense of ‘There goes the company now’. But really, they’re like, we trust you. I mean, even when I start talking about what we want to do in the future, beyond that, I start describing in detail and they go ‘We trust him’.
          I also asked Brian Fargo specifically whether he had spoken with Tim Schafer of Double Fine (recently acquired by Microsoft, too).
          Fargo: I haven’t talked to him since February. Yeah, I knew what was happening. He did talk to me about the experience and what was it like. So indeed, he did.
          Lastly, the inXile founder revealed the strong cooperation between different first-party studios at Xbox.
          We’re sharing with all the studios. I mean, we talked to the guys at The Coalition. If we’re doing something that involves shooting, we’ll pick up the phone and talk to them. If we want to do anything with water, you know, we’ll talk to the guys doing Sea of Thieves and go ‘Hey, just tell us about your water technology’. So that’s what’s great. I mean, everybody’s like ‘Kumbaya’, everybody is sharing everything that they’re up to, we’re in constant communication, and we all want to help each other with our craft.
          Wasteland 3 is coming out in Spring 2020 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. After that game, though, inXile is likely to only produce PC and Xbox One releases.

https://wccftech.com/inxile-microsof...land-3-better/

Comment

• Man of Medan runs at 4K resolution on Xbox One X, preorder here

Get those preorders in.

Until Dawn is an incredibly popular PlayStation 4 exclusive that provided gamers with a new take on the horror genre. While the game was well-received, it didn't set the sales charts ablaze. This was due to the fact that it was exclusive, and that it was priced as a "AAA" experience. Since then, developer Supermassive Games has gone multi-platform, and has partnered with Bandai Namco to deliver a similar game called "The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan."

The Dark Pictures Anthology is a series of standalone, branching cinematic horror games featuring a multiplayer mode. In Man of Medan, five friends set sail on a holiday diving trip that soon changes into something much more sinister. You're tasked with exploring a ghost ship and uncovering the mystery behind it. Luckily, the wait won't be too long because it's coming on August 30.

Unlike Until Dawn, Man of Medan is priced at $30. This is a great entry point because it's a new franchise and the horror genre isn't as popular. Such a game would be perfect for Xbox Game Pass. Luckily, Xbox One X owners are in for another treat.

According to the Microsoft Store, the game runs at 4K resolution on Xbox One X and feature high dynamic range lighting. It should look incredible on modern displays. Hopefully, Man of Medan will get a multiplayer test soon so that we can experience it before launch. The photorealistic visuals look incredible.

https://www.windowscentral.com/man-m...-preorder-here

Comment

• scottvxr
              scottvxr commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks amazing 😎

• Microsoft Flight Simulator

July 11th, 2019 – Development Update

As the team enters the dog days of summer, we’ve been hard at work putting the finishing touches on many of the big updates we’re planning to share toward the end of summer. Our excitement continues to build, as does our impatience to share this information with you. So we press forward counting down the days until we can open the hangar doors and dive into the details with you.

There are many very important topics being discussed in the community (e.g. New Flight Model/IFR-VFR Flight/Weather Simulation Depth/VR Support, etc.). The team is constantly monitoring the feedback/suggestions being discussed and please know that many of these topics and more, will be covered thoroughly in near future updates.

In the meantime, here’s a work-in-progress screenshot, and confirmation that the Insider Program will be starting in early August as part of our development roadmap kickoff.

On July 25th, we will be releasing another update on our plans for August and September. Until next time, know that the team is excited and anxious to share more information with you.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/

Comment

• BadCeeJay1975
              BadCeeJay1975 commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been playing quite a bit of Flight Sim X recently and one of the things that really bugs me is the lack of detail in the cockpit. The cockpits are mostly a flat bitmap with some 3d objects on top for some of the functional knobs and switches. You spend the majority of the time looking at the instruments rather than the scenery so it really makes me excited to see the attention to detail of the cockpit in the new Flight Sim is sumptuous. I hate to think how much they are going to charge for the DLC planes though. You can pay £20 each as it is now for a lot of the planes.

• Nearly three-fourths of gamers prefer Netflix-style subscription for cloud games

Broadband Genie: 86% say they expect cloud purchases of games to be cheaper than digital or physical copies

Nearly three-fourths of gamers would prefer a Netflix-style payment model for a cloud gaming service, while only 20% name Google Stadia's proposed plan as the model they're most interested in.

Earlier this month, Broadband Genie published the first half of the results of a survey it conducted in tandem with GamesIndustry.biz sister-site Eurogamer, revealing that 83% of a group of over 3,000 surveyed were interested in streaming services.

However, in the second half of that survey published today, the specifics of Google Stadia's proposed platform didn't appear tremendously popular. In addition to the 74% that said they were most interested in a plan that allowed for paying a subscription fee to access a full library of games, 86% said they expected games purchased on the cloud to be cheaper than physical copies or digital downloads.

When asked about streaming services such as specifically Google Stadia, 73% of respondents indicated that performance or visual quality was a potential drawback they saw, which was the most-reported concern. Next highest was a preference for tangible products, with 36% indicating it as a drawback.

Those two options were also at the head of a question asking for reasons why the respondents might not purchase a streaming service, with 75% indicating compromised performance or visual quality, and 62% selecting a preference for tangible products in a multiple-response question.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...vice-for-games

Comment

• Blaze_ATX
              Blaze_ATX commented
              Editing a comment
              Quotes: "When asked about streaming services such as specifically Google Stadia, 73% of respondents indicated that performance or visual quality was a potential drawback they saw, which was the most-reported concern. Next highest was a preference for tangible products, with 36% indicating it as a drawback."

"Those two options were also at the head of a question asking for reasons why the respondents might not purchase a streaming service, with 75% indicating compromised performance or visual quality, and 62% selecting a preference for tangible products in a multiple-response question."

The future it's not good Google, not good at all for your new service called Stadia.

Last edited by Blaze_ATX; 07-12-2019, 11:49 AM.

• Blaze_ATX
              Blaze_ATX commented
              Editing a comment
              Microsoft xCloud, it's a better service, simple as that. 😎

• Direct X-Static
              Direct X-Static commented
              Editing a comment
              "...only 20% name Google Stadia's proposed plan as the model they're most interested in...74% that said they were most interested in a plan that allowed for paying a subscription fee to access a full library of games..."

Ouch! On top of that, xCloud is 2.5 times more efficient so it will always have better performance for the same internet speeds. RIP, Stadia!
          Working...
          X