• Show
Clear All

• :)

Comment

Comment

• BadCeeJay1975
        Editing a comment
        Of course it will come to Xbox at some point and Gamepass makes perfect sense. The model that near enough all games will follow eventually is the GAAS model. Put it on Gamepass now to get people engaged and then use a seasons model and cosmetics to get on-going revenue. Xbox giving the Gamepass route instead of just putting it straight out as F2P gives the devs a little bit of revenue up front to keep the lights on until mass engagement gets going and they can get a steady revenue stream from the season passes and cosmetics.

As much as I dislike Fortnite it really did show the way forward for the industry although Microsoft has gone one step further slapped a subscription service over the top of it to get a little more revenue up front before the steady revenue stream gets up to speed. All those naysayers saying that Gamepass is unsustainable long term are not really thinking ahead to the way that games are going to be in the future. We will see less and less sequels and I reckon that most Xbox first party games will release one entry that runs the entire generation with Sea of Thieves being the first one. You can bet on the next Forza MS entry being the only one this gen along with Halo (its not called Infinite for nothing), Everwild (again, its not got Ever in the title for no reason), State Of Decay 3 (probably will just be called The State Of Decay or something), Grounded, Fable amongst many others. There maybe be some smaller titles or spin-offs that are "complete" on release but I expect each first party studio to have at least one long term service game that they run all gen (and beyond). The way that games make money has changed and the way that people consume games has changed.

Take Sea of Thieves for example, I played the game when it first came out and then left it for quite a long time returning recently to it. The game is now phenomenal and is absolutely thriving, the concurrent player numbers are as high as they have ever been and increasing all the time, the game is selling gangbusters on Steam. There is just so much stuff to do on there with layer upon layer of different game loops and content and this month is going to flip into the season pass model. The way that the game world is built with islands is just so flexible when it comes to adding new areas on to the map and in theory they can just keep adding new stuff forever with not just new islands but entire areas dedicated to different types of gameplay. This is how a modern game is built today and I am so happy that MS had confidence in Rare to let them do their own thing and support them through the difficult launch period. That trust is now paying off and there is absolutely no reason why Sea Of Thieves won't be around for years and years to come and generate a shit ton of steady revenue.

• Direct X-Static
        Editing a comment
        BadCeeJay1975

But Jim Ryan said the model is not sustainable based on their own research.... a few months before saying that they're looking into a service like it but have nothing to announce at this time. Once again, MS leads and Sony follows.

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Blaze_ATX
            Editing a comment
            Happy Birthday Xboss! 🥳🎂🍾🎉🥳

:)

• https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/je...ization-update

Last edited by Blaze_ATX; 01-12-2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Blaze_ATX
            Editing a comment
            😎

• angryguy77
            Editing a comment
            uh oh...........

• xboxfandev
            Editing a comment
            "Microsoft is working with EA with EA Play and so they bribed them for it." A pony said anywhere in our planet.

• Direct X-Static
            Editing a comment
            This is what happens when devs hae just a little more time to polish last gen titles, yet this gap is only going to widen when the full performance of the Series connsoles is utilized.

• AMD live stream from ces 2021

Comment

Comment

• hasmeh
              Editing a comment
              That could be awesome. Machine Games with their technical ability and Todd Howard world building we could get something great.

• Direct X-Static
              Editing a comment
              It'll be some time befre anything else is announced? Sounds like an Xbox exclusive if you ask me... something to compete with Uncharted, perhaps?

Let the Pony butt hurt continue!

• HeavesLion
              Editing a comment
              Direct X-Static bro you're crazy that word will remain in every post that I put for now on you got it man you got it that's going to be my say for now on.(Let the Pony butt hurt continue!) If you don't mind of course.

Comment

• Blaze_ATX
              Editing a comment
              Hyyyyyype!!!! 🤩💚😎

Comment

• hasmeh
              Editing a comment
              Just Brilliant.

Comment

Comment

• Moving Gears to Tier 2 Variable Rate Shading

Chris Wallis, Senior Software Engineer at The Coalition

Tier 2 VRS allowed Gears 5/Tactics to see an up to 14% boost in GPU perf with no perceptible impact to visual quality. It is available on all hardware supporting DirectX 12 Ultimate, including Xbox Series X|S, AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series graphics cards, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20 Series and 30 Series GPUs. Moving to Tier 2

The Xbox Series X|S launch of Gears 5/Tactics and the story DLC Hivebusters added new rendering features including contact shadows and screen space global illumination as well as an emphasis on 60FPS cinematics. While the features had great visual results, they were costly even on high-end GPUs. We investigated ways of keeping 4K and 60 FPS while also maintaining the rich detail of our PC Ultra textures and running these new visual features on both Xbox Series X|S and PC. This led us to revisit some of the VRS work done in Gears Tactics. While the use of Tier 1 VRS in Gears Tactics offered some great performance gains, it had some small compromises to visual quality and didn’t work well with Dynamic Resolution Scaling. As a result, we investigated the extra flexibility allowed in Tier 2 to see if we could solve the Tier 1 shortcomings.

The primary difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 VRS is granularity. Tier 1 allows you to specify a shading rate per draw. Tier 2 allows you to instead specify the shading rate in a screen space texture. The texture is not 1-1 with the render target but instead specified in coarser VRS tiles of either 8×8 or 16×16 depending on hardware. By analyzing our previous frame’s scene color, this allowed us to output a texture that would apply coarse shading rate only in sections that we’ve determined can reduce shading without causing any perceptible difference. For more details on the VRS API, refer to the VRS announcement.

The relatively simple edge detection filter can find areas of lower frequency detail from a wide variety of passes. These are some common cases the edge detection chooses to reduce the shading rate:
                • Reduced visibility due to shadowing/low lighting
                • Occlusion due to volumetric fog
                • Dense translucent particles (i.e. the waterfall)
                By having the edge detection at the end of the frame, it also caught areas blurred out due to post processing effects such as motion blur and depth of field. This is particularly effective in cinematics where a majority of the screen is often blurred due to depth of field.

A lot of info in the article. Most of it went over my head after the first few paras.

Comment

• Direct X-Static
                  Editing a comment
                  "Tier 2 VRS sees higher performance gains when running at higher resolutions. While actual results will vary based on engine and content, we found that resolutions of 1080p or lower saw generally saw diminishing returns from Tier 2 VRS."

I guess that VRS won't work well on Series S, and this quote also explains why Sony didn't invest in VRS for their machine.

"While we were able to implement VRS for all the passes that gave us the biggest bang for the buck, it was not plumbed into the entire engine due to time constraints. A deeper integration would allow VRS to provide even larger GPU savings."

Amazing that VRS is being patched into an old game and isn't even reaching its' full potential yet!

“Software-Based Variable Rate Shading in Call of Duty... present(s) a method leveraging how console hardware handles MSAA to emulate VRS on platforms without hardware VRS support and extra flexibility such as smaller tile sizes. In addition, they present an optimized way to apply VRS to compute shaders that uses ExecuteDispatchIndirect to ensure only waves with actual work are dispatched in contrast to our brute force method. However, Software-Based VRS also has some trade-offs including implementation complexity and the overhead of a de-blocking pass. One possibility is to use a hybrid of both techniques, switching between VRS techniques..."

So VRS on PS5 will only be done in software just like their ray tracing is, while Series X can utilize both hardware and software techniques to even greater effect. Notice the use of the phrase "our brute force methods" though? The Coalition has forced VRS into Gears and it still works this well, so can you imagine what a proper DX12U engine (and UE5) will do for gaming???

Good times ahead for us Xbox and PC fans! 😎👌

Comment

• Comment

• Blaze_ATX
                  Editing a comment
                  🤣👌😂

• angryguy77
                  Editing a comment
                  the real vid where that pic is taken from is funny too. Some dude in Australia I think.

• Direct X-Static
                  Editing a comment
                  What an appropriate meme, lol!

PS fanboys have "revolutionized" the industry...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Blaze_ATX; 01-12-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Blaze_ATX
                      Editing a comment
                      👀🙃😎

• hasmeh
                      Editing a comment
                      That is some cryptic shit. Did another deal just go through.

• Come on Microsoft, don't hold back the moneyyyyy!!!😎

Comment

• HeavesLion
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah don't hold back the money Microsoft you can make it on PC and Xbox and you will make the money so don't worry make the money on Xbox and PC.
                      Last edited by HeavesLion; 01-13-2021, 06:26 AM.

• HeavesLion
                      Editing a comment
                      You know what Microsoft release it on Playstation when you see uncharted on Xbox if you don't see uncharted on Xbox do not release that game and Playstation that's it.

• Pony logic (Stupidity) in a nutshell. 😂🤣😂🤣

Comment

• Blaze_ATX
                      Editing a comment
                      Lmao!!!

• Direct X-Static
                      Editing a comment
                      Denial is a long river but it flows through the delta of acceptance and into the ocean of the Xbox games ecosystem.

It's only a matter of time before more Ponies realize what Xbox has become.

• HeavesLion
                      Editing a comment
                      That is correct my friend I got both so I don't have no problem I got really strong PC and I have a really strong console Xbox series x

• xboxfandev
                      Editing a comment
                      Poetic, Direct X-Static!

Comment

• hasmeh
                      Editing a comment
                      Just to let everyone know as well that this was posted on XboxERA. I think that is a very nice way of acknowledging the Xbox community who have basically broken away from ERA and GAF.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X